Weight Management Program
The success of the Psycho-social-behavioral (PSB) component of the Weight Management Program depends upon coordination with the medical, nutritional, and exercise components of the overall program. The PSB component will include individual and group psychotherapy sessions focusing upon the following areas.
Component 1 Cognitive Behavioral Strategies and Skill Acquisition
- Implementing behavior modification and diet recording program with behavior rules including such suggestions as:
Eat slowly. Chew food carefully and fully.
Put down silverware between bites.
Place servings on smaller dishes.
Eat only at kitchen table.
- Teaching self-attuned eating eating only when physiologically hungry
- Learning to identify and manage feelings associated with overeating, maladaptive eating habits, and/or poor exercise habits, e.g. loneliness, frustration, perfectionism
- Developing exercise program and contract
- Finding a behavioral coach who will help, support, and encourage clients
Component 2 Biofeedback and Self-Regulation Training and Hypnotherapy
- Developing and writing ideal self, focusing upon health and fitness concerns
- Developing and writing several food rejection scenarios
- Teaching relaxation strategies including deep breathing techniques
- Teaching techniques of behavioral rehearsal and imagery
- Making individualized relaxation audio tape incorporating above strategies for clients to use for home practice
- Alpha-theta biofeedback training in order to achieve a hypnogogic state receptive to practicing imagery, behavioral rehearsal, and idealized self techniques
Component 3 Weekly Group Psychotherapy Sessions
- Weekly group therapy sessions designed for the following:
· education and exchange of ideas
· sharing of stories
· promoting sense of connection and support among members
· exploration of psychosocial aspects of weight management
Component 4 Graduation and Follow-up
- Recognition and celebration of successful completion of program
- Follow-up group meetings on a monthly basis for a one year duration